Wayne State University Medical Alumni Association recognizes distinguished alumni and faculty for their significant contributions to the Medical School and the medical community at large. Awards are presented annually during the Medical Alumni Reunion Dinner. All School of Medicine Alumni, faculty and Resident Alumni are invited to nominate candidates for the Recent Alumni, Distinguished Alumni Award and Lawrence M. Weiner Award.
Download the nomination form
The Following awards are presented during the Annual Reunion Dinner:
- Distinguished Alumni Award which is presented to an alumnus/alumna who has made outstanding contributions to humanitarian causes, whose contribution to the health field in the broader sense is outstanding and for service to the School of Medicine.
- Lawrence M. Weiner Award, which was established in 1979, honors outstanding contributions of non-alumni to the School of Medicine through the exceptional performance of their teaching, research and/or administrative duties.
- Recent Alumni Award, established in 2003, is presented to alumni who received a medical degree from Wayne State School of Medicine within the last 15 years and have demonstrated outstanding professional achievement, community contributions or service to Wayne State School of Medicine.
The following awards are presented during the Annual Reunion Luncheon:
- Dr. William Stapleton Jr. Freshman Scholarship Award, which is presented to the Year II student who during Year I achieved the highest level of academic performance.
- Medical Alumni Sophomore Scholarship Award, which is presented to the Year III student who during Year II achieved the highest level of academic performance.
- Junior Scholarship in Surgery Award, which is presented to a senior for outstanding performance in Year III Surgery.
- The Medical Alumni Senior Scholarship Award, which is presented to the senior who has performed at the highest scholastic level during the four-year period.
- The Elvis Smith Alford, MD and Nellie Corbin Alford Memorial Scholarship Award, established in memory of Elvis Alford, MD, Class of 1935, is presented to a fourth year male student in Wayne State University School of Medicine based on academic excellence alone.
- The Dr. Morris Brent Award, which is presented for outstanding academic performance and substantial contribution to the School of Medicine community during Year I or II.
- The George Mogill, M.D. Endowed Award for Family Medicine is selected based on scholastic achievement; history of volunteerism and or leadership, and a demonstrated compassion in the field of medicine, and the recipient(s) must have matched into a Family Medicine residency program.
Contact us at: (877) WSU-MED1 (877-978-6331) or email@example.com